For Immediate Release — July 22, 2020 — Washington, D.C. — The members of the National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS) have elected New Mexico Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver as president of the association. She will serve a one year-term ending July 2021.
"I am grateful to lead the nation’s oldest nonpartisan association for public officials during this unprecedented time. With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the historic 2020 general election on the horizon, now more than ever Secretaries of State are crucial to securing and protecting our democracy,” said Toulouse Oliver. “I look forward to successfully leading the organization and thank my colleagues for their support.”
Toulouse Oliver has served as New Mexico's Secretary of State since January 2016, with several years of previous experience as a local election official. During her tenure as Secretary of State, she has been a valuable member of NASS and the Election Infrastructure Subsector Government Coordinating Council (EIS-GCC).
Also elected at the virtual 2020 NASS Virtual Summer Conference are the following Executive Board members:
* President: Hon. Maggie Toulouse Oliver, New Mexico
* Immediate Past President: Hon. Paul Pate, Iowa
* President-elect: Hon. Kyle Ardoin, Louisiana
* Treasurer: Hon. Tahesha Way, New Jersey
* Secretary: Hon. Steve Simon, Minnesota
* Eastern Region Vice-President: Hon. Nellie Gorbea, Rhode Island
* Southern Region Vice-President: Hon. John Merrill, Alabama
* Midwestern Region Vice-President: Hon. Scott Schwab, Kansas
* Western Region Vice-President: Hon. Katie Hobbs, Arizona
* Member-at-Large (NPA Section): Hon. Connie Lawson, Indiana
* Member-at-Large (ACR Section): Hon. Jim Condos, Vermont
National officers will serve a one-year term, ending July 2021.
# # #